The IRA has put all of its weapons beyond use, the head of the arms decommissioning body has said.

General John de Chastelain made the announcement at a news conference accompanied by the two churchmen who witnessed the process.

"We are satisfied that the arms decommissioned represent the totality of the IRA's arsenal."

Welcoming the move, Prime Minister Tony Blair said IRA decommissioning had been "finally accomplished".

The general said: "We have observed and verified events to put beyond use very large quantities of arms which we believe include all the arms in the IRA's possession.

"We have also made an inventory of them."


But now, how will the Orange handle this? Will they continue to allow their own paramilitary to implode life in Northern Ireland? That's the big question in my mind. I think we will witness the microchasm of the opressed becoming the opresseor, it's already happening. So much of the Irish Peace Process has been focused on disarming the IRA (and that NEEDED to happen--don't get me wrong) but who is going to disarm the loyalists? How long will peace last? Peace is not possible until both sides lay down arms and come to the table.
Once again, I think you can mark 99.9% of this up to a wide abyss of economic divide that is labeled "sectarianism" where we label ours "racisim".

If you want to know what's going on in Belfast, start with the murals.

Amid the blast bombs, petrol bombs and barricades of this sudden surge of loyalist violence, fresh graffiti appeared near the Albert Bridge Road.

A mural claiming double standards - namely that the Orange Order is banned from marching, while the IRA can - had been defaced. A local hand accused the Orangemen of cowardice, duplicity and of failing the community.

Across the road, more graffiti revealed divisions among loyalist paramilitary groups, street corners marking invisible boundaries of influence.


Updated with this bit: Quotes from the Orange's Grand Marshall...

5pm
Orangemen blame police for Belfast riots

Staff and agencies
Wednesday September 14, 2005

Orange Order leaders today denied responsibility for the Belfast riots, instead blaming police for the violence that erupted at the weekend after a contentious parade was re-routed.

Dawson Baillie, the Belfast County Grand Master of the Order, said: "As far as I am concerned the violence was started by the police. The violence I saw at the weekend from the police force was absolutely shocking."

Mr Baillie refused to condemn the violence, which involved petrol bombs, pipe bombs and blast bombs being hurled at police, but said he did not condone it.

Speaking at a press conference on the loyalist Shankill Road he said: "I don't accept any responsibility for calling people out on the streets to assist us. I feel entirely blameless."

Asked if he would do things differently if he had the weekend over again he said: "Not one thing."

Northern Ireland's chief constable, Sir Hugh Orde, said earlier this week he was holding the Orange Order "substantially responsible" for the rioting.

Profile

aamusedinatx

May 2013

S M T W T F S
   1234
567 891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 23rd, 2017 12:42 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios